7.20.2007

I'm a Digital Gal

Okay, so I have to share this experience because it made me laugh on the inside. I recently went to a card-making party for a lady in my ward whose mom is a StampIt consultant. We got to make 3 cards and have a lot of fun. I've never really made cards before or done the whole stamp thing really, so this was a new thing for me, that I thought I'd try and get a chance to talk with adults for a while. :)

So anyways, I go to the party, and get set up to start my first card. I quickly find out that the ink is permanent when I get bumped and accidentally drop the big stamp onto the inside of my cute card.

Dang.

There's no Undo button. There's no erase. I can't just scrap it and start over because I'm paying for this specific bit of cardstock.

Dang.

So I decide to just call it an artistic decision and move forward.

On to the second card. I'm using a layered stamp that has multiple parts to it that have to line up to make sense. So I spend literally minutes of time trying to line these stamps up perfectly, only to find out I have no hand-eye coordination and I messed up.

Dang.

I can't nudge this layer a little bit to line up correctly. It's there and it's stuck and there's no moving it.

Dang.

By this time, I'm really missing my beloved Photoshop. On to the third card.

This one, surprisingly, turns out just fine. I follow the directions and come out with a nice card. But the colors of the elements are not my favorite and I can't just go in and change the Hue/Saturation.

Dang.

All in all, I had a fun time socializing and creating with my hands, but I don't think that I'll start up a card-making hobby anytime soon.

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for everyone who does this sort of thing and can get their hands to be steady and create perfectly aligned, tangible cards and scrapbook layouts.

It's just not for me.

Here's a scan of my card along with one that I re-created digitally in about 10 minutes. Yeah, you could say that I'm hooked! :)

2 comments:

Shalae said...

It's so true Laurel! Went to a baby shower where they had us put together paper scrapbook pages for the baby. I didn't know what to do!! I tried and it just was not working... I kept thinking man this would be so much quicker and faster in Photoshop... plus so much cuter. Definitely a digital gal here too!

Syndee said...

That digi card is so stinkin' cute!!!