4.09.2010

Let there be GRASS!

It's amazing how SO VERY grateful you can be for something that you would just take for granted in normal circumstances. Case in point -- when we moved into our new house in November of '08, it had been vacant for at least 3 or 4 months, during the hot summer. That meant we didn't have a lawn, we had straw. And an ugly slope that the previous owner's dogs had torn up. Plus lots of trash and just old junk that they left behind.

Brianwood_11

(Here's the photo I took the first time I toured this house, complete with my assertions that we could work with it! And it IS big. The state of it was pretty sad then, but was REALLY sad when it stayed pretty much the same for a year and a half!)

Here's the before photo from a couple of weeks ago. We had taken out all the grass and removed all the old netting underneath.

Backyard_BEFORE

We had a great gardener and his team come out and till everything, work on the slope, plant some trees, and put in new sod. And here she is now!!

Backyard_AFTER

I just can't believe the difference! It looks like an actual backyard now, one that if we had had it from the beginning, I know we wouldn't appreciate it nearly as much.

Here is the slope before (you can see we had taken out the grass, but some had started to grow back in because of all the rain we had gotten. Talk about counter-productive! :)

LBL_6037_web

And here is the slope after, with the lemon, orange, avocado and pomegranate trees! They're little, yes, but they'll be great one day. We can't wait.

Backyard_slope_AFTER_web

And once the kind of flowers we want are available, we're going to have some hanging flowers planted on the slope that will cascade over the wall, so that you can't see as much of the stone on the bottom. I love that it will be filled with color!

Now I'm happy that me and the boys can go outside and play like this:

LBL_8571_web

LBL_8566_web

LBL_8544_web

LBL_8538_web

LBL_8536_web

LBL_8528_web

LBL_8530_web

Needless to say, we're stoked. We've been playing outside everyday since we got the go-ahead. And the boys are just in heaven. :)

Me too, kids. Me too.

9 comments:

mrbus said...

Wow! What a transformation...it looks great You're right that it can make a big difference. I can't wait to come play catch with the boys! Love, Dad

Laurel said...

Yay Dad! We can't wait for you to visit either. The boys would love to show you their rugby skills. :)

Allison said...

Looks great! And I know how you feel - we are landscaping our front yard now and I can't wait to do the back.

Renee said...

Nice yard! And what exactly does Elijah's shirt say because from what I can see it is pretty awesome.

Laurel said...

Hahaha, Renee, thanks! His shirt says "Surrender the candy" on it. Definitely appropriate for him. :)

Emily Busath Murdock said...

Ugh, I'm jealous. Someday, I tell myself. Someday.

Laurel said...

I know what you mean, it's tough without it. You'll be there before you know it!

Janine said...

Looks awesome! I'm so happy for you. The kids look like they love it as much as you do! :)

Shelley said...

How wonderful. It looks gorgeous, and so much fun!!